At Lyell, our vision is to develop curative cell-based immunotherapies for solid tumor cancers. We have innovative science originating from our founder’s world class labs and a unique and disruptive approach to research and development. Our company is first and foremost focused on understanding the science. We are a learning organization, dependent on deep collaborative relationships between all of our colleagues, partners and founders. Our culture is based on Science, Respect, Courage and Collaboration and it reflects who we are and the environment we are creating.
We are seeking a Director, Flow Cytometry Core within research at Lyell who will be responsible for leading and maintaining operations of a state-of-the-art flow cytometry facility. The individual in this role will lead a team of flow cytometry technical experts located at both our Seattle and San Francisco locations in the application of high-dimensional analysis of cellular phenotypes and high-speed cell sorting to address a diverse set of hypotheses related to CAR-T/TCR/TIL biology. This individual and their team, will support a variety of research projects in the pre-clinical and translational research setting and ensure efficient transition of flow cytometry assays to Process Sciences teams. In addition, the individual will nurture relationships with both internal stakeholders and external collaborators while ensuring effective cross-site communication to maximize the impact of the flow cytometry platform in the achievement of enterprise-level research objectives. This role can be based out of California or Washington.
- Manage/oversee flow core scientists and research associates including mentoring, development, and training
- Serve as a consultant and/or collaborator on diverse R&D projects
- Partner closely with scientists and research leadership to ensure the generation of high-quality, reliable, reproducible flow cytometry data through optimal panel design and analysis, ensuring its positive impact on research objectives
- Establish and standardize analysis strategies for flow cytometry-based assays, work with IT/IS teams to make appropriate recommendations on fit-for-purpose analysis software, and continue evaluating new tools for data analysis and data reduction/compensation as needed
- Ensure the maintenance of flow cytometry analyzers and sorters at peak operating condition by ensuring ongoing instrument maintenance, standardization, and quality assurance
- Ensure successful assay development, execution, and smooth operations of the flow core by maintaining antibody and other critical reagent inventory
- Support existing next-gen sequencing approaches toward the characterization of cell types associated with CAR-T/TCR/TIL biology and activity in the context of complex in-vitro and in-vivo models and develop new flow-based approaches as needed
- Work closely and maintain productive relationships with process sciences team on complex flow cytometry assays for T cell characterization
- Develop strong and fruitful relationships with manufacturers and developers of flow cytometry hardware and software to continue to evolve and improve flow cytometry capabilities
- Engage in continuing scientific and technical education so that the latest expertise knowledge is available to meet challenges in cutting-edge CAR-T/TCR/TIL research
- Nurture productive and collegial relationships with all users
- Oversee training and guidance of new users
Preferred Education & Experience:
Ph.D, MS or BS in Immunology, Molecular and Cell Biology, Cancer Biology or relevant field with 5+, 10 + or 15+ years of experience leading a flow cytometry lab, respectively.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively among cross-functional teams
- Ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet deadlines and balance competing priorities
- Excellent analytical skills and scientific/technical expertise
At Lyell, we believe that highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who respectfully challenge each other. We are committed to building an open, diverse and inclusive culture for all employees.
Lyell is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws.
The Company complies with all laws respecting equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants with regard to any protected characteristic as defined by federal, state, and local law. This position requires you to work onsite at the Company’s facilities and the Company requires that all employees working in its facilities be fully vaccinated (except as required by applicable law). Therefore, this position requires you to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons, and/or as otherwise required by applicable law. The Company considers you fully vaccinated once 14 days have passed since you received either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine must have been FDA approved, have emergency use authorization from the FDA, or, for persons fully vaccinated outside of the U.S., be listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization.”
We’ve learned from experience that some of the best people don’t always match our requirements perfectly - if you’re interested and think you could fit, please don’t hesitate to apply.