At Lyell, our vision is to develop curative cell-based immunotherapies for solid tumor cancers. We have innovative science originating from our founder’s world class labs and a unique and disruptive approach to research and development. Our company is first and foremost focused on understanding the science. We are a learning organization, dependent on deep collaborative relationships between all of our colleagues, partners and founders. Our culture is based on Science, Respect, Collaboration and Courage and it reflects who we are and the environment we are creating.
This is a great opportunity to manage the day-to-day logistics of the Lab including coordinating daily consumable supply stocking and ordering. Ensuring the effective operation of all laboratory equipment and serves as a point of contact for instrument repairs. This role ensures that new staff are effectively trained in the general use and function of instrumentation and creates and refines user protocols.
KEY ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain laboratory equipment performance by establishing quality standards.
- Operate, test and calibrate analytical instruments where possible or arrange for the maintenance and calibration by authorized technicians.
- Plan and implement improvements in systems, processes and procedures to increase efficiency, productivity and quality in the laboratory.
- Review data for technical quality and compliance to protocols and methods.
- Responsible to keep the Research Directors appraised of significant events in the laboratory which impact operations and compliance.
- Lead regulatory and asset audits.
- Ensure that corrective actions are taken for identified errors, and that corrective actions are evaluated for their effectiveness and ability to prevent a recurrence.
- Train Scientists and Research Associates and ensure that they receive the on-going appropriate training on the correct use of machines and equipment in the lab.
- Provide a safe environment that protects employees from physical, chemical and/or biological hazards, coordinating with EH&S as required.
- Support Research Directors, Scientists, RAs, and partner labs to do their research efficiently.
- Responsible for representing the logistical interests of the researchers when coordinating with Accounting, IT, Facilities, EH&S, and any other function that should require it.
- Leads re-development of labs based on ongoing scientific needs.
- BSc in molecular biology, chemistry or related field with a minimum of 5 years’ relevant lab management experience.
- Familiarity with molecular biology, animal research, tissue culture, and process development laboratory processes, procedures, and equipment.
- Project management experience.
- Experience creating and maintaining specific research environments, such as clean rooms, specifically ordered labs.
- Implementing laboratory management systems, preferably in a startup environment.
- Experience working in and maintaining Biological Safety Level 2 environments.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Understands the experimental objectives and how they fit into the overall project and broader company goals; can understand and support needs of researchers to drive the direction of the projects.
- Able to work in a collaborative team environment as well as perform independently driven work.
- Can understand and communicate basic cross-functional knowledge from various teams, (ability to comprehend and support lab or equipment based needs from IT, Facilities, Procurement, Accounting, Business Development, as well as the various research teams).
- Proficient in presentation of plans or problems and finding consensus among individually minded people.
At Lyell, we believe that highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who respectfully challenge each other. We are committed to building an open, diverse and inclusive culture for all employees.
Lyell is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws.
The Company complies with all laws respecting equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants with regard to any protected characteristic as defined by federal, state, and local law. This position requires you to work onsite at the Company’s facilities and the Company requires that all employees working in its facilities be fully vaccinated (except as required by applicable law). Therefore, this position requires you to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons, and/or as otherwise required by applicable law. The Company considers you fully vaccinated once 14 days have passed since you received either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine must have been FDA approved, have emergency use authorization from the FDA, or, for persons fully vaccinated outside of the U.S., be listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization.”
We’ve learned from experience that some of the best people don’t always match our requirements perfectly - if you’re interested and think you could fit, please don’t hesitate to apply.