At Lyell, our vision is to develop curative cell-based immunotherapies for solid tumor cancers. We have innovative science originating from our founder’s world class labs and a unique and disruptive approach to research and development. Our company is first and foremost focused on understanding the science. We are a learning organization, dependent on deep collaborative relationships between all of our colleagues, partners and founders. Our culture is based on Science, Respect, Courage and Collaboration and it reflects who we are and the environment we are creating.
The individual in this role will responsible for building a cloud native data platform to enable scientists and collaborators to access real-time scientific data, share data with collaborators, and make meaningful and actionable scientific insights from large data volumes of many different data modalities with security and automation baked into everything we do.
KEY ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Design and implement cloud infrastructure and automation to support a cloud-based microservices architecture built to support collaboration on our data platform. Promote culture of automating everything!
• Support the design, build and operation of the CI/CD pipelines and tools to enable a “learn fast and adapt” engineering environment which incorporates both in-line automated security and functional testing
• Contribute to the design of the data platform to ensure that the software is scalable, resilient, compliant and secure
• Monitor, operate and perform upgrades on production systems
• Manage, monitor and maintain nonproduction systems
• Automate all infrastructure deployment as code
• Help drive efficiency in the organization through automation, implementing CI/CD
engineering patterns, best of breed tooling and cost optimization
• BSc in Computer Science, Math, Physics, or biological sciences or related field with a minimum of 13 years’ experience
• MSc in Computer Science, Math, Physics, or biological sciences or related field with a minimum of 10 years’ experience
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in a cloud-based environment
• Experience in Python programming skills
• Experience with AWS services or Google Cloud Services
• Experience designing and building backend services with REST
• Experience with web application frameworks like Flask, Django, or FastAPI
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Managing data on S3 data lakes, SQL data warehouses, or NoSQL systems
• Strong data modeling skills
• Distributed real-time and batch computing and data pipelines, include big data technologies such as Spark, Hadoop, Hive, Athena, Presto, AWS Batch, Redshift, AWS Glue
• Implementing microservices with Docker, and orchestrating containers on the cloud through Kubernetes, ECS, and Lambda
• Infrastructure as Code tools such as Terraform, CloudFormation
• IoT and streaming data
• Machine learning infrastructure
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively among cross-functional teams, with a particular understanding for and drive to solve data issues faced by research and clinical scientists.
• Ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet deadlines and balance competing priorities.
• Excellent analytical skills and scientific/technical expertise
• Deploying and/or implementing machine learning models is a bonus
At Lyell, we believe that highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who respectfully challenge each other. We are committed to building an open, diverse and inclusive culture for all employees.
Lyell is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws.
The Company complies with all laws respecting equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants with regard to any protected characteristic as defined by federal, state, and local law. This position requires you to work onsite at the Company’s facilities and the Company requires that all employees working in its facilities be fully vaccinated (except as required by applicable law). Therefore, this position requires you to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons, and/or as otherwise required by applicable law. The Company considers you fully vaccinated once 14 days have passed since you received either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine must have been FDA approved, have emergency use authorization from the FDA, or, for persons fully vaccinated outside of the U.S., be listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization.”
We’ve learned from experience that some of the best people don’t always match our requirements perfectly - if you’re interested and think you could fit, please don’t hesitate to apply.