At Lyell, our vision is to develop curative cell-based immunotherapies for solid tumor cancers. We have innovative science originating from our founder’s world class labs and a unique and disruptive approach to research and development. Our company is first and foremost focused on understanding the science. We are a learning organization, dependent on deep collaborative relationships between all of our colleagues, partners and founders. Our culture is based on Science, Respect, Courage and Collaboration and it reflects who we are and the environment we are creating.
Under the guidance of supervising Scientists, the Research Associate I will take a central role in setting up and running lab equipment, running standard assays using existing SOPs required for their project team, collecting specimens, and evaluating and reporting data. They are responsible for keeping abreast of current publications relative to methods, techniques, and developments within their area of research and being an active participant in team meetings.
KEY ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Can execute and analyze experiments under guidance
- Setup relevant assays and models for project studies using existing SOPs
- Collaborate internally with Scientists to interrogate our novel therapies using these assays and models
- Organization and maintenance of a highly functioning lab
- Analysis and presentation of experimental data to project teams
- Generation and maintenance of electronic lab notebook reports, including statistical data analysis
- BSc in biotechnology, molecular biology, microbiology, immunology, oncology or related field or a minimum of 3 years relevant experience within the area of focus
- Some experience with basic molecular biology protocols (i.e., RT-PCR, ddPCR, DNA/RNA extraction and quantitation)
- Some experience in industry Analytical Development lab preferred
- Experience recording data in electronic notebook
- Additional specific experience related to the area of focus may be required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Highly detail oriented
- Learn new protocols quickly and execute them successfully
- Plan experiments and manage own time under limited guidance
- Effectively communicate and discuss results with other scientists on the team
- Basic skills using Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint) and familiarity with data analysis techniques in Excel or other statistical software packages
- Ability to work in a matrixed environment
- General comfort in learning to work with new software and automated lab equipment
Problems tend to be more focused on a particular technical area, less hypothesis driven, usually limited to a specific Research and Development area.
Decisions are limited to own work based on generally defined criteria making minor changes to pre-established protocols. Uses discretion to modify won work processes and has the capacity for troubleshooting, but will likely require input from a scientist.
At Lyell, we believe that highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who respectfully challenge each other. We are committed to building an open, diverse and inclusive culture for all employees.
Lyell is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws.
The Company complies with all laws respecting equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants with regard to any protected characteristic as defined by federal, state, and local law. This position requires you to work onsite at the Company’s facilities and the Company requires that all employees working in its facilities be fully vaccinated (except as required by applicable law). Therefore, this position requires you to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons, and/or as otherwise required by applicable law. The Company considers you fully vaccinated once 14 days have passed since you received either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine must have been FDA approved, have emergency use authorization from the FDA, or, for persons fully vaccinated outside of the U.S., be listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization.”
We’ve learned from experience that some of the best people don’t always match our requirements perfectly - if you’re interested and think you could fit, please don’t hesitate to apply.