At Lyell, our vision is to develop curative cell-based immunotherapies for solid tumor cancers. We have innovative science originating from our founder’s world class labs and a unique and disruptive approach to research and development. Our company is first and foremost focused on understanding the science. We are a learning organization, dependent on deep collaborative relationships between all of our colleagues, partners and founders. Our culture is based on Science, Respect, Courage and Collaboration and it reflects who we are and the environment we are creating.
The incumbent is responsible for managing the day-to-day operation and maintenance of the company’s office and laboratory facilities.
KEY ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Project management for local site capital projects, including tenant improvements, utility modifications, and implementation of new equipment
- Develops and manages build-out and equipment budgets, reports and recommends cost savings based on market benchmarks
- Local liaison for the OAC team (owner – architect – contractors) for build-out projects to deliver upon agreed timelines, scope, and quality
- Manage the day-to-day operation and maintenance of Lyell’s office and laboratory facilities, including management of building utilities (HVAC, compressed gasses, plumbing, power, lighting, etc.), security, access control, and corporate services
- Manage service providers and vendor contracts related to the maintenance, calibration, and repair of facility and utility equipment and building systems
- Liaise with landlord and property management regarding building related issues and central house utilities
- Respond to and troubleshoot general maintenance requests and on-demand issues effecting operations (incl. on-call emergencies)
- Establish and manage the site’s facility and utility practices, policies, and procedures
- Maintain pertinent documentation and equipment files, including drawings, O&M manuals, and service records
- Manage office and laboratory space planning activities, including desk allocation and assignments, occupancy forecasting and laboratory utilization, management of office relocations and moves, and creation of short-term and long-term tactical plans
- Provide service resolution on employee facility related requests through the help desk system
- Responsible for employee physical access, key cards, and restricted access management
- Responsible for overall surveillance density and standards and security protocols during normal and emergency situations
- Implement and manage the asset management system to schedule, record, and track maintenance events and work orders
- Develop, report, and manage department capital and expense budgets
- Collaborate with EH&S to establish and promote safety procedures and practices effecting building facilities and utilities
- Represent facility operations on the site’s safety committee
- BA/BSc with a minimum of 12 years’ experience; or
- MBA or MSc with a minimum of 10 years’ experience
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in facilities/building management and operations,
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a management role
- Direct experience managing laboratory facilities, including maintenance and support of lab utilities, equipment, and instrumentation. Experience working in BSL2 environments preferred.
- Experience implementing and/or managing security access control systems (e.g. Lenel OnGuard)
- Demonstrated experience and working knowledge of asset management and work order systems (Blue Mountain RAM, Maximo, or other CMMS)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficient in business and engineering software systems such as Microsoft Office Suite, SharePoint, Visio, and AutoCAD
- Proven ability to implement and follow safety protocols and work practices
- Demonstrated expertise in troubleshooting and repair of electro-mechanical, plumbing, and MEP systems
- Ability to respond to off-hour emergencies, including nights and weekends
- Attention to detail and follow-through
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Self-motivated, pro-active, and able to work with minimal supervision
At Lyell, we believe that highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who respectfully challenge each other. We are committed to building an open, diverse and inclusive culture for all employees.
Lyell is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws.
The Company complies with all laws respecting equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants with regard to any protected characteristic as defined by federal, state, and local law. This position requires you to work onsite at the Company’s facilities and the Company requires that all employees working in its facilities be fully vaccinated (except as required by applicable law). Therefore, this position requires you to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons, and/or as otherwise required by applicable law. The Company considers you fully vaccinated once 14 days have passed since you received either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine must have been FDA approved, have emergency use authorization from the FDA, or, for persons fully vaccinated outside of the U.S., be listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization.”
We’ve learned from experience that some of the best people don’t always match our requirements perfectly - if you’re interested and think you could fit, please don’t hesitate to apply.