Do the best work of your life and enjoy it.
Senior Research Associate, Discovery & Development
At Lyell, our vision is to develop curative cell-based immunotherapies for solid tumor cancers. We have innovative science originating from our founder’s world class labs and a unique and disruptive approach to research and development. Our company is first and foremost focused on understanding the science. We are a learning organization, dependent on deep collaborative relationships between all of our colleagues, partners and founders. Our culture is based on Science, Respect, Collaboration and Courage and it reflects who we are and the environment we are creating.
The individual in this role will work collaboratively within their project team on the design and execution of a broad number of assays required for the project. With some supervision, works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. Exercises independent judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Begins to take on a central role in developing timelines for specific objectives within their projects. Responsible for keeping abreast of current publications relative to methods, techniques, and developments within the area of research, and will report on how new external learnings can be integrated into current projects. Networks with colleagues outside their own area of expertise. Responsible for carrying out a variety of experiments within the area of focus.
The ideal candidate is an individual who is interested in working in a fast-paced, dynamic and highly collaborative environment with a willingness and ability to successfully take on new challenges.
KEY ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Can design, execute and analyze experiments independently
- Generation, maintenance and review of electronic lab notebook reports
- Collaborate internally and across teams with Scientists to interrogate our novel therapies in our assays and models
- Interprets, troubleshoots and discusses data with Scientists and Research Associates at meetings or through reports
- Responsible for the completion of research, experiments and assignments that have an impact on functional goals
- BSc in biotechnology, molecular biology, microbiology, immunology, oncology or related field with a minimum of 7 years’ experience within the area of focus; or
- MSc in biotechnology, molecular biology, microbiology, immunology, oncology or related field with a minimum of 5 years’ experience within the area of focus
- Demonstrable experience in human primary T cell culture, characterization, and viral gene delivery
- Development and implementation of cell-based functional assays
- Experience with molecular biology protocols (i.e. PCR, Western, RT-PCR, basic cloning); more complex experience a plus
- Proficient in sterile tissue culture technique and experience working with human cells
- Experience with flow cytometry assays and analysis; more complex analysis and cell sorting experience a plus
- Experience in data production and reporting for IND-enabling studies
- Additional specific experience related to the area of focus may be required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Understands the theoretical basis and experimental objectives and how they fit into the overall project goals
- Knowledgeable and proficient in a range of technical skills within their area of research
- Highly proficient in using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and data analysis software packages (Prism, Flow Jo, Spotfire, Geneious, etc)
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively to delivery high quality results within reasonably established timelines
- Strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication and relationship building are essential
- Ability to effectively work in a fast-paced environment and quickly adjust if priorities change
- Ability to work in a matrixed environment
- General comfort in learning to work with new software and automated lab equipment
At Lyell, we believe that highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who respectfully challenge each other. We are committed to building an open, diverse and inclusive culture for all employees.