At Lyell, our vision is to develop curative cell-based immunotherapies for solid tumor cancers. We have innovative science originating from our founder’s world-class labs and a unique and disruptive approach to research and development. Our company is first and foremost focused on understanding science. We are a learning organization dependent on deep collaborative relationships between our colleagues, partners, and founders. Our culture is based on Science, Respect, Collaboration, and Courage and reflects who we are and the environment we create.
The Sr Research Associate (SRA), Analytical Development will be responsible for the development and implementation of flow cytometry methods to assess cell health, phenotype, and functionality of our engineered cell products for characterization or release. The SRA in this role will conduct experiments to assess/develop new flow cytometry assays and assist in the tech transfer of analytical methodologies to Lyell’s GMP manufacturing and QC testing facility. The successful candidate will be able to exhibit a moderate to high level of independence while leading the development for multiple projects and driving collaborations with key stakeholders in TechOps and Process Development. The successful candidate will have expertise in flow cytometry method development, experience with analytical testing methodologies and an understanding of the technological requirements to execute on testing and characterization needs of a cellular therapy company.
- Lead development, optimization, qualification, and validation of flow cytometry-based analytical methods for product characterization and release of Lyell engineered T cell products
- Contribute to the development of novel assays, technologies, and approaches to meet future analytical needs and work in close collaboration with key stakeholders within the QC and Process Development groups
- Support product characterization activities, including comparability assessments in support of product life cycle management
- Partner in the transfer of qualified assays to QC
- Provide analytical support to cross-functional project teams
- Develop and deliver scientific presentations, prepare clear and concise technical reports, participate in project teams as needed
- Revise, review, and author assay standard operating procedures
- Contribute to building a culture that encourages continuous learning, improvement, and innovation, and encourages team members to expand their technical skill base
- A minimum of 5 years of extensive experience in developing flow cytometry-based assays. Experience with development of high parameter flow cytometry methods and familiarity with spectral cytometry and instrumentation (Cytek Aurora) a plus
- Knowledge of T cell biology and complex T cell subset analysis by flow cytometry
- Expertise in data analysis with Flow Jo or FCS Express software
- Experience with statistical software (JMP, R, Spotfire, Prism, etc.)
- Experience in analytical development, cGMP QC testing and implementation of new technologies in a regulated environment
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively to deliver results within reasonably established timelines
- Prior experience in cell therapy development preferred
- BS/MS in cell biology, immunology or related field with at least 5 years’ relevant industry experience
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively among cross-functional teams
- Ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet deadlines and balance competing priorities
- Excellent analytical skills and technical expertise
Lyell offers its employees a range of compensation and benefits. To assist you with your decision to apply for this role, the following decision to apply for this role, the following information and links to our site highlight our
competitive market position and support to our employees and their dependents.
The salary range for this position is $110,000 and $125,000, annually, with the opportunity to earn an annual bonus. The salary range is an estimate, and the actual salary may vary based on Lyell’s compensation practices and an applicant’s qualifications and experience. Employees are also eligible to participate in Lyell’s Equity Incentive Plan.
Our Employee Benefits program is extensive and includes subsidized medical, dental and vision plans from your first day of employment, FSA, Company provided Life and AD&D Insurance as well as STD and LTD Insurance, ESPP, a 401(k) Plan with Company match, mass transit commuter benefits, cell phone reimbursement and a range of supplemental benefits that you may choose to elect. Our paid time-off benefits currently include 18 days’ vacation, 9 day’s sick leave, 8 observed holidays as well as a floating holiday. We also have a summer and a winter office shutdown. More information on our extensive benefits offering can be found here.
At Lyell, we believe that highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who respectfully challenge each other. We are committed to building an open, diverse and inclusive culture for all employees. Lyell is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws.
The Company complies with all laws respecting equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants with regard to any protected characteristic as defined by federal, state, and local law. This position requires you to work onsite at the Company’s facilities and the Company requires that all employees working in its facilities be fully vaccinated (except as required by applicable law). Therefore, this position requires you to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons, and/or as otherwise required by applicable law. The Company considers you fully vaccinated once 14 days have passed since you received either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine must have been FDA approved, have emergency use authorization from the FDA, or, for persons fully vaccinated outside of the U.S., be listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization.”
We’ve learned from experience that some of the best people don’t always match our requirements perfectly - if you’re interested and think you could fit, please don’t hesitate to apply.