Do the best work of your life and enjoy it.
South San Francisco, California, United States
At Lyell, our vision is to develop curative cell-based immunotherapies for solid tumor cancers. We have innovative science originating from our founder’s world-class labs and a unique and disruptive approach to research and development. Our company is first and foremost focused on understanding science. We are a learning organization dependent on deep collaborative relationships between our colleagues, partners, and founders. Our culture is based on Science, Respect, Collaboration, and Courage and reflects who we are and the environment we create.
We are seeking a qualified candidate to join our TCR (T Cell Rejuvenation) Research and Development team in South San Francisco. The ideal candidate will play a principal role in developing the next generation of T-cell cancer immunotherapies. The candidate will be responsible for scientifically supporting the T cell team in developing assays to identify cell phenotypes of improved T cells for adoptive immunotherapy. We are seeking someone with deep molecular knowledge and expertise in cell aging and more than 3 years of multi color flow cytometry of immune cells.
KEY ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design and conduct complex experiments independently with scientific rationale.
- Critically analyze experiments and interpret complex data drawing appropriate conclusions.
- Creative thinking to improve the efficiency of current experiments and assays.
- Communicate and discuss results with other scientists.
- Represent Lyell externally through presentations at crucial National / International meetings and interactions with our key investigators.
- Participate and thrive in an interactive, team-oriented culture.
- BSc in immunology, oncology or related field with a minimum of 9 years’ experience within molecular biology, cancer biology, immunology, pathology, or related field; or
- MSc in immunology, oncology or related field with a minimum of 7 years’ experience within molecular biology, cancer biology, immunology, pathology, or related field; or
- PhD in immunology, oncology or related field with a minimum of 0-2 years’ experience within molecular biology, cancer biology, immunology, pathology, or related field
- Deep molecular knowledge and field expertise in cell aging and senescence.
- Proven record of relevant experience and expertise in assays involving measurements related to epigenetics, DNA repair systems, apoptosis, telomere length, and metabolic pathways.
- 3+ years of multi color flow cytometry of immune cells
- Consistent record of innovative contributions to cellular reprogramming, cellular aging, or senescence as evidenced by first / senior-authored publications in top-tier journals and patent authorship.
- Strong experience with general cell culture work (culture, expansion, media formulations, passaging, preservation, co-culture systems).
- Experience with immunohistochemistry, fluorescent microscopy, RT-PCR, and Western and Blotting.
- Experience with cell cytometry and cell sorting.
- Relevant experience and expertise in cancer cell immunotherapy, such as TCR/CAR T cell assays, is a plus.
- Experience with transcriptional analysis such as RNA-Seq, ATAC-seq, and single-cellanalysis is a plus.
Lyell offers its employees a range of compensation and benefits. To assist you with your decision to apply for this role, the following decision to apply for this role, the following information and links to our site highlight our
competitive market position and support to our employees and their dependents.
The salary range for this position is $120,000 and $135,000, annually, with the opportunity to earn an annual bonus. The salary range is an estimate, and the actual salary may vary based on Lyell’s compensation practices and an applicant’s qualifications and experience. Employees are also eligible to participate in Lyell’s Equity Incentive Plan.
Our Employee Benefits program is extensive and includes subsidized medical, dental and vision plans from your first day of employment, FSA, Company provided Life and AD&D Insurance as well as STD and LTD Insurance, ESPP, a 401(k) Plan with Company match, mass transit commuter benefits, cell phone reimbursement and a range of supplemental benefits that you may choose to elect. Our paid time-off benefits currently include 18 days’ vacation, 9 day’s sick leave, 8 observed holidays as well as a floating holiday. We also have a summer and a winter office shutdown. More information on our extensive benefits offering can be found here.
At Lyell, we believe that highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who respectfully challenge each other. We are committed to building an open, diverse and inclusive culture for all employees. Lyell is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws.
The Company complies with all laws respecting equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants with regard to any protected characteristic as defined by federal, state, and local law. This position requires you to work onsite at the Company’s facilities and the Company requires that all employees working in its facilities be fully vaccinated (except as required by applicable law). Therefore, this position requires you to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons, and/or as otherwise required by applicable law. The Company considers you fully vaccinated once 14 days have passed since you received either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine must have been FDA approved, have emergency use authorization from the FDA, or, for persons fully vaccinated outside of the U.S., be listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization.”
We’ve learned from experience that some of the best people don’t always match our requirements perfectly - if you’re interested and think you could fit, please don’t hesitate to apply.